Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Such Fragile Things

No one ever thinks about bad things happening to them. You never imagine being hit by a car or cutting your finger off and yet, danger is all around us. Take me for example. I walk around as if I'm invincible (I am a mini ninja after all) and despite numerous warnings from parents (the warnings you never really listen to because you hear them on repeat time and time and time and time again) I still feel the need to run around like a tween girl, naive to any of Life's monstrosities.

Well...

This is the story of how Life teaches little naive girls a good ol' lesson.
Last night after leaving Sarah's house, I parked my car and started walking to my flat. I was approached by a man who pushed me up against the wall and held a knife to my stomach. He asked for my phone and so I did what most people do under life threatening conditions.... I bargained with him.

I offered him money instead and he made me walk to the ATM and draw him money. He then proceeded to wait for me to walk home. Instead I ran into the shops and waited for him to disappear into the night. Thinking back now, I was lucky enough to get off with just R200 but maybe next time I won't be as lucky.

While walking home I was surprised at how composed I had been and it was only once I made it into my flat that my nerves took over and I burst into tears. I spent the rest of the night as a wreck. I was physically and emotionally exhausted but my mind wouldn't let me sleep. However, I finally did and woke up feeling a lot better today.


P.S - I'm still a ninja.

No comments:

Post a Comment