Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Best From the Rest

News Profile on the most banging actress I know, Kim Rest. Heeeeeey!

Kim Possible

“Jenique?” she calls out. Her glowing presence is hard to miss. “Hi, Kim?” I ask but she wastes no time before hugging me and making herself comfortable. There’s a huge smile on her face, one that lasts throughout most of the interview. Although she’s very small in stature, after looking into her eyes, you know that she’s meant to captivate people, which she does with her pearl-like hazel coloured eyes that create the kind of depth only experienced in 3D movie theatres.

“[Art] is a huge part of my life, a huge part of everything I do: my friends, my career and my mindset, the way I think, the way I walk, the way I look at the world is all artistic. I don’t see numbers and systems; I see the beauty and the meaning.”

Kim Rest is in her second year in Acting for Camera and when you meet her, you can tell she’s in the business of entertaining. From a young age she knew exactly what she wanted to do, “In primary school I was chosen for the school play. I only had one line and when I said that line on stage, I knew I had to do this, I had to act” and she has stayed true to that ever since, being a part of a state theatre show that performed in Grahamstown and Pretoria and doing stunt work for a London based series called Strike Back 2. She was in a teen series called House Six and has done voiceovers for SL magazine as well as for student animations. Other appearances she’s made include a Vuka advertisement, Super Nova on Super Sport, the FHM Top 100 and the TV Plus Magazine.

Kim gets her inspiration from watching other performances, “When I watch a really good performance I think to myself, “I have to be like that, I have to be better”.” As well as from herself, “I need to push myself because no one else is going to.” But when she’s not entertaining people she engages herself through yoga as well as writing in journals which she has found to help her acting.

She has big plans for her future including moving to London to chase her dreams but for now you can catch her next performance at the Theatre on the District, for a play called Thirteen Objects which will be showing from the 29th to the 31st of July.

“It’s not just passion, I’m obsessed. I got really fascinated by the whole psychology of acting, creating characters using your own emotions… and as soon as I feel those emotions, those real, core emotions I know, this is what I’m living for.”



No comments:

Post a Comment