Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sneak Preview

Hey gangsters...

So like it's Creative Writing Tuesday and I'm working on a bit of a short story. It is romantic in nature but also dramatic. I have just introduced the protagonist's love interest and I've decided to share it with you, a 'sneak preview' if you will.


And here it is you lovely critters:



I knew these lines already, I knew them after the second week into this state of insomnia and realised that it wasn’t as much of reading as it was finding comfort in the familiar words. I didn’t have to pay them my full attention, rather I found it hard to. All these books remind me of those little bass beats, the ones that appear on the hi-fi set that imitate the tempo of the music and tonight there was a clicking, which at first I thought was just in my head, relieved after I finally captured the source in my view.



Her floor-length skirt kissed the linoleum tiles and although I couldn’t see her feet, I had a perfect image of what they looked like. At first glance, no one would pin her for a dancer but I noticed how the lower end of her back con-caved more than usual, that curve that appears when a girl is walking on the balls of her feet, a habit which I’m sure started many years back judging from how precise her stride was. I could imagine her having small feet and that finding shoes to fit them would be a struggle, one that she would usually forfeit to and compromise with the next best fit. The clicking could only be coming from, as I presume, the back of her shoes having not enough heel to hold onto and coyly kissing the floor in turns with every step, just as her skirt had done.



Not having seen them, didn’t make imagining them impossible because now I found myself reluctant to pull my thoughts away from their form. The high arch, a perfect circle cut in half, so small and still so embracing.

 *    *     *



Go easy on me<3

No comments:

Post a Comment